If you or your child have been diagnosed with an Ectodermal Dysplasia syndrome you are entitled to apply for;
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Carer’s Allowance if you are aged 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a person who receives Disability Living Allowance (at the middle or higher rate for the care component), or the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment.
- A disabled tax class if you or your child receive either the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment.
- A driving license at age 16 if you receive the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment.
- Motability Scheme.
- A Blue Badge for anyone over two years old even if they are not receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment. However, they will automatically qualify if they are receiving the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or the enhanced rate of Personal Independence Payment. The ED Society are able to help you apply.
- Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) grants to help meet the extra course and accommodation costs students can face as a direct result of a disability, ongoing health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty.
Benefit rates change yearly, you can see the rates for this current year here along with additional information in our leaflet – Claiming Benefits for Individuals with Ectodermal Dysplasia
The ED Society are more than happy to help you with the benefits process by checking through your application forms, writing supporting letters for the appeals procedure and assisting at Tribunals. It is a time consuming job and we solely rely on fundraising and donations from our members to run our charity.
Due to the fact that these forms take a lot of time, we ask that if your claim is successful, perhaps you could make a donation or hold a small fundraising event which will be much appreciated. Monies raised by our members help us to cover some of the costs to help you. Sometimes these run into hundreds of pounds if we are required to travel to tribunals etc.
We have a very high success rate on the DLA applications/tribunals we have helped families with thus far. For more information and help with applying for benefits please look at at the relevant page where each is explained more fully or contact us.